Frequently Asked Questions
I'm a registered user! How can I upgrade?
- How can I stop the message: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action?"
- How do I stop TopDrop using screen space at the top or bottom of the screen?
- What can I print with the column printer?
- I don't want the program to speak a whole document, can I just speak part of it?
- Sometimes when I reply to an email, the email address isn't correct.
- Can I use my own graphics files for my button images?
- How many buttons can I configure?
- How can I capture an image of what's on the screen?
- How do I update the Geographic IP database for web log analysis
How do I stop TopDrop using screen space at the top or bottom?
Choose Auto-hide by right clicking on a blank area of the program. It then hides when you move off. You can also position it at either the top or bottom of the screen by dragging it, according to your taste.
How can I stop the message: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action?"
You may also get a different error message, which is stored in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail in the value PreFirstRun
If you get a message the first time you drop a message onto your toolbar, it is because your computer's default mail handler does not support more complicated MAPI functions like those found in Microsoft Outlook.
To disable this message on your PC, you must trick MAPI into using your default provider. Do this using the following method (based on information in Microsoft KB 315458. There is also more information available here.
- Start regedit as an administrator by typing "regedit" into your start menu.
- Right click the regedit program, and choose Run As Administrator
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Windows Live Mail*
- Double click the DLL Path value, and copy the value data to the clipboard then click
On my system, it's C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\smapi.dll
- Right click a blank area below the DLLPath value, and choose New and then Expandable String Value from the menu.
- Type in DLLPathEx as the new value name.
- Double click the DllPathEx value, and paste in the value from the previous step.
- You may also need to set the default value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail to Windows Live Mail
*64 bit complicates this by redirecting the registry keys, so on a 64 bit version of Windows, look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Clients\Mail
This may also fix problems with Windows 7 Mobile Device Center giving a similar error message every time you plug in your smart phone.
What can I print with column printer
You can drag and drop program file listings, raw html files, or emails from outlook, outlook express, or selected text from any other program. The program will then print the unformatted text onto a multi-column printout using the layout you define.
I don't want the program to speak a whole document, can I just speak part of it?
Yes, just select the text you want to speak, and then drag and drop it onto the speak tool. Otherwise, you can copy it to the clipboard, and choose paste.
Sometimes when I reply to an email, the email address isn't correct
Sometimes when email has been forwarded, extra formatting is applied, and the original email address is no longer in the text part of the message. You can check this by copying the text to the clipboard, starting wordpad and then choosing the Edit Menu, and selecting Paste Special. Then select unformatted text. If the email address doesn't appear, TopDrop can't get it either.
Can I use my own graphics files for my button images?
Yes, but you must save it as a bitmap file with a size of 32 pixels by 32 pixels. You can usually use any graphics editor to resize your images.
How many buttons can I configure?
You can configure as many as will fit across your screen, which is dependant upon your screen resolution.
How can I capture an image of what's on the screen?
To capture the entire screen, press Ctrl+PrintScreen. To capture the current window, click on it, and then press Alt+PrintScreen. A copy of the image is now on the clipboard. To save it straight to disk, right click on a Resize Images button, and choose paste.
How do I update the Geographic IP database for web log analysis
We use the MaxMind GeoIP free country database as the source for our country lookups. You can find out more at the MaxMind GeoIP Free Country web page.
You'll need to download the CSV format file, which is compressed with WinZip. Currently the file is at http://www.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoIPCountryCSV.zip, but please visit their website for full details.
After downloading the file, open the zip archive and either drag and drop the file GeoIPCountryWhois.csv onto any web log analyzer button, or save the file to your disk and then drag and drop the file onto a web log analyzer button, The software will automatically update the country database.