The program is extremely small, requiring only 400K of disk space, and is fast to download.
It includes install and uninstall code, and the student version can also be run from a single floppy disk.
Any system running Windows® 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP will work.
A sound card supporting audio output is required for voice synthesis.
Microsoft Agent must be installed on your system (standard on XP and 2000)
A text to speech engine for your language must be installed on your system.
It has come to our attention that very old versions of Windows are missing some key system files.
This will affect Windows 95 systems, without internet access primarily. If, after you have downloaded the spelling program, you find that your system claims a device is not working, then please email us.
Please address your email to "needmfc at(@) wieser-software dot(.) com", and we will provide you with a download link to get this additional package, which can be copied onto a single floppy disk. Bear in mind that you will also have difficulty installing agent.
Creating an installation CD
If you want to create an installation CD for a PC without internet access or Microsoft Agent, do the following:
- Install onto a machine that is connected to the internet, and accept the installation of Microsoft Agent.
This will pull all of the files from the internet that are required (UK speech engine, Microsoft Agent, and the Peedy character.
- If you additionally want to install more languages or characters, run agentnst.exe again, and click on the additional components you want.
This will pull additional files from the internet.
- Put the following files from the installation directory in a single directory on your CD:
- hspelling.exe - The spelling program
- agentnst.exe - The agent installer
- vcredist.exe - The files for legacy systems, if you have downloaded them.
- agent - copy this entire directory in with the others.
Burn the CD (making sure to close the session so any computer can read it).
To install, simply double click hspelling.exe on the installation CD. If you get any installation errors on legacy systems, install wiesmfc.exe and run the installation again.